Dynamics GP 10 – Letter Writing Assistant
If your company generates, basically, any type of letter(s) to customers, vendors or employees individually or in mass quanity then this Dynamics GP 10 functionality can save you a lot of time.
Dynamics GP 10 -Letter Writing Assistant is a tool used to merge data from Dynamics GP 10 to Microsoft Office Word 2007. It’s simple and easy. You can choose from exsisting templates or create your own custom letter(s). To create a custom letter follow link to http://www.box.net/shared/zlhx0cg39x document. This document steps you through creating a custom letter for use with a Smartlist merge. Also, by following the exercise you will gain a better understanding of the Letter Writing Assistant. Allowing you to maximize its benefits and formulate your own creative usage.
To view the existing letter templates in Dynamics GP 10
- Go to the Letters folder which is in the Data folder in the location where Microsoft Dynamics GP is installed. C drive >> Program Files >> Microsoft Dynamics>>GP>>Data>>Letters. Folders exist for each category. Within a category folder are the Word templates.
If you do not have access to this folder you can view letters through the Letter Writing Assistant Wizard
- Reports >> Letter Writing Assistant.
- Click Next on the Welcome window
- Select “Customize the letters by adding new letters or changing existing letters option”
- Click Next
- Letter Writing Assistant window will open. Select the following below then click NEXT.
- Microsoft Office Word 2007 will open allowing you to view, change and save the letter to fit your needs.
Access to generate letters can be obtained by clicking on the “Write Letters” button from the following windows.
- Customer Maintenance
- Customer Summary
- Vendor Maintenance
- Vendor Credit Summary
- Applicant Offer
- Employee Maintenance
- Employee Summary
- Smartlist (Click the Word button)
Notes: If you use Macros with Word 2007 be aware of your Word 2007 security settings. If it is set to Medium or High you may encounter issues during the merge. Also, if you are using Human Resources or Payroll you will need to set security to letters that have personal information attached. You can do this by going to Microsoft Dynamics GP>>Tools>>Setup>>System>>Security Tasks. The Security Role Setup window Microsoft Dynamics GP>>Tools>>Setup>>System>>Security Roles. Grant security to the Human Resources and Payroll letters.